Skip to main content

Featured

For the love of Music

    Music, the vibrations that pass through the air to our waiting ear drums and ultimately transforming into the ethereal sounds we hear. Music, a spiritual journey into the human mind, body, and soul. 

    As a self-proclaimed connoisseur of music, I'd like to think my opinion on the subject matters. However, it is just my opinion so don't attack me if I insult the music you like. My tastes in music usually vary every two weeks, so expect a music post around that time frame. I'd like to start this series of music posts by discussing my current most listened genre and song. 

    For the last couple of weeks I've settled into the edgy vibe of Alternative Rock. This category of music surfaced around the mid-1970's and became popular for it's divergence from the mainstream (hence the name "Alternative"). Billboard officially introduced the "Alternative" category into their charts in September of 1988. Alternative began to popularize in the 1990's with the rise of bands such as Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana. In fact, the Nirvana single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is credited with starting the grunge phenomenon. Now considered a classic, the song reached impossible heights, catapulting the the band and the genre to the one place it didn't want to be: mainstream. The New York Times declared in 1993, "Alternative rock doesn't seem so alternative anymore. Every major label has a handful of guitar-driven bands in shapeless shirts and threadbare jeans, bands with bad posture and good riffs who cultivate the oblique and the evasive, who conceal catchy tunes with noise and hide craftsmanship behind nonchalance."

    Fast-forwarding into the 21st century, Alternative Rock had fallen down after its initial success. The early 2000's were dominated by the rise and popularity of rap. A resurgence has been made however, by bands and artists preserving the counter-culture style. Bands such as Thirty Seconds to Mars and Artic Monkeys helped carry the genre through the 2010's. Now back on its way back into the mainstream, I wonder if the genre will soon reach a tipping point before fading into the musical background just as it did in the late 90's. Is Alternative Rock the phoenix of musical genres? Able to soar above the rest before extinguishing in a self-inflicted flame, only to rise from the ashes and start anew? Only time will tell.

    Whatever the future of the genre, for now it is here and willing to be in the spotlight. I certainly enjoy listening to it... quite a lot. My top Alternative song of the week is Livin' for the Weekend by Fitz and the Tantrums. For the last ten years, Michael Fitzpatrick and his group have exploded the genre superhits Handclap and Out of My League. Livin' for the Weekend came out in 2019, included in the digital version of the group's "All the Feels" album. The song begins with the deep blaring of horns, setting the stage for the headbanger of song. A simple snare and bass drum rhythm complement the powerful instrumentals. All the instruments and beats coincide to follow the vibe of the lyrics. Lyrics which boast of self-accomplishment and a care-free life, evident in this excerpt: 

I get knocked down and I get back up
I'm ridin' high, never sleepin', livin' for the weekend
Down when the goin' gets tough
I'm risin' up from the deep end, livin' for the weekend

    The song peaked at #40 on the billboard charts in January of 2020, but I think the song's bright outlook and powerful instrumental will bring it back to relevance as we enter the summer season. Better yet, if the song doesn't make a resurgence in popularity, it will truly be embodying the spirit of Alternative. To be enjoyed by few and be rejected by the many. 

    I hope you enjoyed the insight into my current music taste as much as I did. I'll be back in a couple of weeks with another genre and another song. Make sure to subscribe to our blog to receive email updates when there's a post, so you never miss out on what's new!



Comments

Popular Posts